NURSING COURSES OFFERED IN THE COLLEGE
B.Sc. NURSING DEGREE PROGRAMME
Duration of Course: 4 YEARS
Admission requirements:- Application form and prospectus can be obtained from the admission office, Billroth College of Nursing (address) No. 2, Mettukuppam Road, Maduravoyal, Chennai – 602 102. By payment of Rs. 250/- by D.D. / Cash/M.O. drawn in favour of Billroth Medical & Educational Trust.
- The minimum age for admission shall be 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission
- The minimum educational requirements shall be the passing of HSC (12 years) or Senior School Certificate Examination (10+2), pre-degree examination (10+2). Or An equivalent with 12 years schooling from a recognized board or university with science (physics, chemistry, biology) and English with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- A candidate shall be medically fit.
- Single female candidates or widows without any encumbrances are eligible to apply
Eligibility certificate:- Candidate, who has passed any qualifying examination other than Higher Secondary Course conducted by Tamilnadu Government, shall obtain the eligibility certificate before admission from the concerned university.
Selection of the Candidates:- The candidates will be selected on the basis of merit and their interview performance conducted by the college selection committee, whose decision will be the final. All the candidates selected to pursue the Nursing Course shall submit the original certificates at the time of admission and that will be returned only after the registration in The T.N. Dr. M.G.R. Medical University. All the eligible candidates will be admitted and are subject to the regulations of The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University and that of Indian Nursing Council.
Curriculum:- The curriculum for the programme will be as prescribed by the standing academic board from time to time. It includes and fulfills the requirements of INC, TNSNC & TN Dr. M.G.R. Medical University.
Course Details:- Duration of the course shall be 4 years non-semester including the internship. The course of the study and the scheme of examination will be prescribed by the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University.
Facilities of the Billroth Hospitals will be utilized to provide clinical experience. In addition, students get experience from various other medical institution and community health centers as per course requirements.
Affiliations:- The college has obtained the necessary possession from the State Government. The college is affiliated to T.N Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, & T.N. Nurses & Midwives Council for its B.Sc (N) degree programme. The Indian Nursing Council also recognized the college.
The Medium of Instruction:- English will be the medium of instruction for all the subjects of the study & examination of the B.Sc (N) programme. Regional language will be thought to the students from other states to orient them to the language.
Registration:- The candidates admitted for the programme shall get registered with the Tamilnadu M.G.R. Medical University by remitting the prescribed fees along with the duly filled in application form for registration & forwarded to the Registrar through the Principal, Billroth College of Nursing within the stipulated date.
Commencement of the Programme:- The programme will commence in the month of July / August, every year. Filled in application should reach the office on or before June 15th.
Payment of Fees:- All the candidates shall pay the prescribed fees fixed from time to time by the college and subject to the rules and regulations. Fees once paid will not be refunded. Candidates failing to pay the prescribed fees on time will have to pay with fine till the date 25 for this purpose.
Working days in the academic year & Vacation:-
Course Duration: 4 years
Weeks available per year: 52 Weeks
Vacation: 8 Weeks
Gazetted holidays: 3 Weeks
Examination (Including preparatory): 4 Weeks
Available weeks: 37 Weeks
Hours per weeks: 40 Hours
Practical: 30 Hours per week
Theory: 10 Hours per week
Internship Practical: 48 Hours per week
Hours available per academic year: 1480 (37 weeks x 40 hours)
Attendance:- The candidate should have 80% attendance in theory & 100% in Practicals. Students should have completed all the requirements prescribed for each course of study before the admission to examinations.
- The candidate who lacks in the prescribed attendance & progress in any one subject (theory & practical) in the first appearance shall not be admitted for the examinations.
- There shall be no candidate for lack of attendance.
Scheme of Examinations;- Theory & practical examination shall be conducted at the end of the I, II, III & IV year’s respectively in subjects as per the syllabus.
- Minimum pass mark shall be 50% in each of the theory & practical papers respectively.
- Minimum pass mark shall be 40% for English only.
- The candidate has to pass in theory & practical examination separately in each of the papers. It a candidate fails in either theory or practical paper, he/she has to reappear for both papers.
- The maximum number of attempts permitted for each paper is three including the first attempt.
- A candidate failing in more than 2 subjects will not be promoted to the next year. The candidate shall not be admitted to the subsequent higher examination unless the candidate has passed the previous examination.
- The maximum period to complete the course shall not exceed 8 Years.
- There shall be a periodical internal assessment in theory and practicals for all subjects & marks will be awarded according to the weightage given to each subject.
- The students are expected to maintain high standards in academic and clinical performance throughout the programme. The internal assessment of each candidate shall be done in all aspects of performance and parent / Guardians are informed time to time
- Theory and practical examination should be passed separately. Any candidate who fails in the internal assessment shall be given an opportunity to improve the internal assessment.
Award of Class:-
75% & above – 1st Class with Distinction
60% – 74% – 1st Class
50% – 59% – Pass
Below 50% – Fail
Eligibility for award of degree:- The candidate will be awarded the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing when he/she has completed the prescribed courses or study for 4 years with all course requirements.
Location and Infrastructure Facilities:- The college is located in the city of Chennai on No. 2, Mettukuppam Road, Maduravoyal, Chennai – 602 102. The classroom and laboratories required are available according to the norms of Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Indian Nursing Council and State Nursing Council.
Laboratories:- As per the INC norms, Laboratories such as Nursing Arts (Fundamentals Lab), Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, nutrition, pathology, microbiology, child health nursing, community health nursing, and midwifery and obstetrical nursing etc are equipped for the students to learn with the demonstration.