Breast cancer is one of the commonest cancers in the urban cities of India. Among Indian women the age adjusted rate of breast cancer is as high as 25.8 per 100,000 women and mortality rate is 12.7 per 100,000 women. So, with such high a rate of incidence, it is mandatory for every Indian women to check whether her breast is free from cancer.
Apart from the high incidence of the disease there is one more thing that should prompt a woman to check whether her breasts are free from cancer, it is the thought that her breast are a part of her own body, so taking good care of one’s breasts is very important. On examination if any abnormality is detected early, it can also be treated early with the latest advanced medical technology to give a good prognosis, whereas late diagnosis causes lifelong implications and sometimes even death.
Now the next set of questions in every woman’s mind is, How do I check whether my breast is free from cancer and can I do it myself or should I go to the doc?
If you are struggling with such questions this article will give you the right answer for all your questions.
Down below are few standard ways to know whether your boobies are clean:
- Self-examine your breast: Examine your breast every month to check for any change.
It is best to check your breast after your periods. This is the time your breast won’t be swollen or tender.
Methods to check your breast:
1. First stand in front of the mirror with your hands on your hip and check for the shape, size and color of the breast in the mirror.
2. Lift both your hands above the head and look for any changes in your breast.
3. Carefully roll your fingers on the breast slowly and check for the presence of any lump. Also check the nipples whether they are inverted and not sticking out as usual.
4. Check whether any discharge is oozing out of your breast, the discharge could be of any colour white, yellow or even a bloody.
5. As you hold your hands raised don’t forget to check your armpits as well.
- Use a journal and record all the changes carefully with dates
What if you have found an abnormality?
Never panic if you find any abnormality, most women have lumpy areas in their breast during some part of their life. Most times these lumps are gentle and not cancerous. So do not worry but at the same time do not ignore the warning, visit a doctor at a good multispecialty hospital which has an oncology division. Let the doctor examine you thoroughly, the doctor will let you know whether you would require any further investigations. We remind you to take the doctor’s diagnosis seriously and go for the entire test as prescribed.
It is always good to take the routine examination that includes the basic Breast Examination, Mammogram and other best test every 2 years after the age of 30. If you have a family history of cancer make this a routine without any lapse every year, in order not to miss any signs of breast cancer early.
To refer a friend or a relative with a similar query and to know more about breast cancer screening for yourself:
Call Us: 72994 04040/ 044 42921777